Wholemeal Timilia Bread
Organic wholemeal semolina Timilia flour from durum wheat is a ancient grain processed through stone milling, much different from commercial flours made from i fornai Siciliani.
Today, it is cultivated only in a few zones of central western Sicily. The grain has a high level of protein, a low gluten and glycemic index, which makes the flour and its derivatives much lighter, digestible and assimilable.
This flour is especially suited to make breads but also for fresh and dried artisan pasta, pizza and desserts.
500g organic wholemeal semolina Timilia flour (I Fornai Siciliani)
325ml lukewarm water
4g instant dry yeast
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon of organic honey (Apis) - (will help your dough rise)
1 tablespoon of organic extra virgin olive oil ( Lo Castro)
1. In a large bowl, put the flour and make a hole in the middle.
2. In a separate bowl, dissolve yeast in 50ml lukewarm water. Let it stand until bubbles form on surface then whisk.
3. In a separate bowl, dissolve the salt in 50ml lukewarm water. Avoid mixing yeast and salt together for better dough rise.
4. Pour slowly the yeast solution into the middle hole of the flour. Mix well the ingredients while adding slowly the remaining lukewarm water followed by olive oil and honey.
5. Pour the salt solution and mix well.
6. Work on the dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until become smooth and elastic, 8-10 minutes. Make your preferred dough shape, place in floured tray and sprinkle a generous amount of flour on top.
Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled, atleast for 2 hours. We suggest to place the dough inside the oven (oven should be off).
7. Preheat the oven for 10 minutes at 200°C before the dough is ready.
8. Place the dough in the oven for 10 minutes then drop down the temperature to 180°C for 30 minutes. Please note that temperature and timer might be different from your home oven.