Chickpea and potato soup
This is an excellent creamy first-course, prepared with simple ingredients but rich in taste that will appeal to adults and children. The chickpeas, with its delicate but full-bodied flavour, together with the potato, enrich the dish with their creaminess. It is a perfect dish to serve as a soup on the coldest winter days, but perfect also for a warm and fresh spring season.
We have used organic short pasta "fiori di semolato di Timilia" for this recipe produced by "I Fornai Siciliani” that focuses on the enhancement of raw materials which have always been present in Sicily, grown and processed directly locally, in full respect of Sicilian traditions.
Course: First course
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Portions: 4 people
250g Chickpeas (Click here)
750ml Meat broth
100g Pasta fiori of durum wheat semolina Timilia (Click here)
50g Sweet bacon cut into cubes
3 Sage leaves
1 Sprig rosemary
2 Cloves garlic
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp tomato paste
Grated parmesan cheese to taste
Ground pepper for seasoning
Water enough to cover the chickpeas overnight
1) After keeping the chickpeas in water overnight, boil them in plenty of salted water.
2) Peel the potatoes, wash and cut into pieces. Peel the garlic and onion. Wash the sage leaves and rosemary then gently dry and chop finely.
3) Put the aromatic mince, diced bacon and oil in a saucepan. Sauté, then add the chickpeas with 1 ladle of its cooking liquid and the chopped potatoes. Let it simmer for 10 minutes over low heat, while stirring from time to time.
4) Add the meat broth and tomato paste. Cover the pot and cook for 40 minutes.
5) Mash the potatoes with a fork.
6) Add the pasta into the broth and cook it al dente.
7) Remove the pan from the heat and season the soup with a sprinkle of pepper. Serve hot. You can also add grated parmesan.